Sunday, February 17, 2008

I've been a beast to be around lately and have been wondering how Abishai is handling seeing his usually calm and patient mama contort into a frazzled mess. It took him two hours to fall asleep tonight. Finally, I crumpled and just decided to level with him, something I should have been doing all along.

"Abi, Mama just really needs you to fall asleep right now because I have a lot of work due in a few days and need this time to work on it."

"Mama work on comet (comic) book?"

"That's right, I have to finish it and have been really stressed out about it all day."

"Daddy sick?"

"Yeah...Daddy has a migraine, it means his head feels really yucky!"

"Daddy peen (clean) up?"

"Daddy promised he'd clean up but then he got sick, Mama shouldn't be mad at him, I'm just taking out my anger on everyone because I left my work until the very end, and now I'm really stressed out."

"Ohh...okay. Abi sleep and Mama work on comet book."

"Thank you Abi, that really helps me out a lot. Would you like to help me finish it tomorrow?"

Abi rolled around on the bed excitedly, agreed to help me out with it and promptly fell asleep. Not before saying this:

"Okay Mama. Abi kiss Mama? Abi hug Mama? Okay, night night Mama."

When did he become so reasonable and mature? I'm going to blink and he'll be in college. Childhood is much too short. And much too precious to waste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, he sounds so awesome! good luck with your deadline.

arsarca said...

nah! i think it's because kids are inherently really generous and thoughtful, they're just infantalised by our society! you've obviously doing a great job raising a sympathetic human being, is what i think!

(after that, this'll sound like tooting my own horn, but i've noticed that i can rationalise with gabi like this, too. really, i just think that the way that our society thinks children should be denies them a lot of the emotional complexity and sensitivity of which they're capable.)